Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Waves Are Headed In Three Directions At Once


Do you ever just lay on your hard floor, sink into your two-millimeter-thin carpet, stare at the ceiling and just blast a whole CD without doing anything else? People seem to do it all the time in the movies, but I don't think I've done it since junior high, and that listening experience was just me playing "I Knew I Loved You" by Savage Garden on repeat for a whole summer because I danced to that song with Kylen Zibetti at the end-of-year dance in seventh grade.

If questioned about this I will deny everything without a blink of an eye.

But anyways, the point is (aside from me remembering now that my carpet back then was wayyy thicker and I wish I could stand my parents just to live in such luxury again) that despite all the iconic images and the cliche nature, it really is a phenomenal way to live music.

Or maybe the point is that I'm a geek that takes herself too seriously and tries to squeeze out some meaning from a day where I barely left the apartment.

But regardless of the motivation of my musing, soaking in music like that just rocks. Listening can be a really intense experience when it isn't in your roommates car or as you're walking the halls trying to decide if you can show your face in your ethics class when you don't have the paper to turn in.

And while my roommate may think I'm absolutely insane to be doing this at three in the morning, at least it drowns out the fact that she is constantly and creepily talking to herself under her breath, even in the midst of her brushing-teeth-for-seven-minutes-straight ritual (and yes I did time that).

I highly recommend late 70's rock or out-to-prove-how-shallow-the-world-is 90's. Both have great layered melodies that can kinda blow your mind when there's nothing in there already to diminish the experience.

Also go for the late late late night listening if you aren't into illegal stimulants, I hypothesize that it's the only way people like me can really appreciate the full wonders of The Who without inhaling.

Oh, and kids, stay away from too much Dashboard. It just makes you really whiny in the morning.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Doesn't publishing something on the internet kind of bind you and disallow you from being able to deny it?

kjohnson said...

Holding true to post after 2am. I love to learn so much about you from reading, especiallly those years I missed while away at college. Hope your test went well this week.

Royden said...

(as texted) I'm enjoying this extension--more like a living memory of those blessed nights we would sneak into eachothers rooms and talk to the wee hours of the night--mainly for the mere thrill of adolescent rebellion

Royden said...

so is this a new roommate? or is this is an awesomely creepy and quirky side to Becca I have yet to see, but I find myself giddy with the anticipation of witnessing such an awkward thrill

rosemary said...

I love it. I actually tried to do this the other night with the Seether CD, but my Bekah complained for five minutes straight because Seether is too hard for her. Sigh. Some people simply do not appreciate the fine art of musical meditation. At least Bekah doesn't brush her teeth for seven minutes, though. In regard to that, I hope you lock your door at night.