Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Livin' Just To Find Emotion

Recent news: I had a near death experience. My head almost snapped off my neck completely. This was largely due to a week of where I attended four different concerts up in Salt Lake. Epic, but it had a price.By the time I was at Passion Pit (concert number 3), I was forced to sedately step-and-snap to the music, since my head was already at such a precarious state that I was a perpetual bobble head. Oh wow that just created an awesome tongue twister in my head: “At Passion Pit my pate was perpetually placed precariously.”


But in reaction to this brush with my own mortality, I feel compelled to confess to something. It’s a shameful secret, something that has been gnawing at me for some time. But even now as I’m on the brink of telling all, the Radiohead I’m listening to right now seems to be shouting me (or angstily scolding, as is more their style) into silence. But if being close to becoming a dashboard novelty has taught me anything, it’s that above all you must be true to yourself! Well, that and if you’re going to head bang, do it more with your entire back folding forward, but that is not the point we are going to focus on right now. The truth will out me one day, might as well do it myself:

I enjoy the music group known as Train. I thought it was a fluke, that “Meet Virginia” was a one-time delightful bouquet of clever nonsense lyrics and a swingin tempo, but I’m afraid it’s much worse than that. The percentage of their tunes I find myself gleefully bopping along to unfortunately confirms that Train and I have a game show love connection we can’t deny. I know, I am way too cool-hipster-obscure-groove-reverence-for-the-classics to be this person!

And yet it remains. I like Train. Which if you look at it a certain way, it’s a pretty cool demonstration of the wonders of music—how personal an individual reaction can be, and how unpredictable what chord progression is going to sing in your bones and what epic classics are going to leave you saying “meh.”

Yes, I did just try that hard to make my fanness of Train cool and philosophically significant. And if you’re judging me or considering cutting me off as an acquaintance because of this revelation, consider two things: A) ever since I informed Pandora of my Train love it has clogged my station with all sorts of sentimental twangy crap. I believe that is sufficient penance, and B) that’s insanely lame of you to not be ok with what other people like.

Other confessions that have been crawling stealthily out of the suppressed area they were supposed to stay in: I appreciate Led Zeppelin but never listen to it for pleasure, I think Zac Effron was hot in Hairspray, I’m going to see “The Jonses” even though it looks pretty crazy lame solely because it has David Duchovny in it, I still know every word and musical cue for Alanis’ album “Jagged Little Pill,” I’ve read a Nicholas Sparks book or two—although now that he’s publicly stated that he’s a better novelist than Cormac McCarthy I solemnly swear to never read another—and I cried through the first twenty minutes of “Up” and at the end of the Glee episode when she sings the Rhianna song (she’s so sad!). There. Whew. That felt good. It isn’t even close to the amount of dirt I have on myself, but at least the load has been lightened. Marginally.

To conclude, let us focus on two songs I’ve been currently obsessed with: The Door’s “Hello, I Love You” and Velvet Underground’s “Rock and Roll.”

The Doors rock, even though I have to be in the mood for their more self-indulgent nine minute songs—not that I’m against those epic recordings as a strict rule, but because even the greatest musician in the world could learn from the three-minute pop song format. There’s a reason why The Beatle’s became gods of the earth with “Help!” and “She Loves You.” You gotta earn your “Revolution No. 9.” This means you, pretentious local bands. That’s awesome that you can turn your back on the audience and rock out without hitting anything discordant. No one cares.

The key point to “Rock and Roll” is the lyric when Jenny “couldn't believe what she heard at all. She started dancin' to that fine fine music—you know her life was saved by rock 'n' roll.” Does anybody else have that moment in their life when they really listened to rock and looked upon it and found that it was good? For me it was when Royden and Jeff were rocking out to “Foxy Lady” by Jimi Hendrix. I must have been about 12 or 13. And I couldn’t have told you it was Jimi singin’ to me, but I know we played that song eight or nine times straight, taking turns spinning and jamming on the slick hardwood floor in our kitchen to the gutsy guitar riffs.

And then I’m pretty sure Randy came in and was a complete buzzkill. But still, my life was changed by rock ‘n’ roll.

7 comments:

Cat said...

Good, OWN those likes and dislikes! I enjoy this. It takes a lot to admit those shameful secrets. I can respect that.
Also: Word on the street is that The Joneses is actually an enjoyable, witty film. Hopefully that's true.
And finally, I completely agree about the nine minute jams. You gotta love em, but they are a sometimes listen.

rosemary said...

I think I know those shameful secrets. That worries me. You likely know my shameful secrets, too . . .

Also, the concert insanity is just beginning. This summer is going to rock! You know, it really would be awesome if The Doors came to town. I love them, but I need to listen to them again. I haven't seriously indulged since high school.

Jesper said...

I love your blog. I know "love" is a trite word on this internet. What I mean is this. If your blog was on paper (which I also love because it smells nice and it doesn't hurt my head or eyes) I would stay up all night to read YOUR blog. If you want to someday send me a story in the mail. It would be the greatest gift. I also want to comment on your exceptional use of punctuation. There are a lot of intelligent people who don't know punctuation. I am one who is haunted by the threat of poor or improper punctuation. See how scared I am? I have to keep using the word PUNCTUATION. Also, I want you to know that I just remembered that you taught me what the word "nemesis" means. When you were younger than me in the commons. That's all I have to comment. Except thanks for being public with your amazingness.

Sarah-Olivia said...

Mary, First off let me say that I LOVE to read your blog. It is (honestly) the only blog I actually read. Usually I just mindlessly scroll through to see if there are any interesting pictures of what's-her-face's kids and realize that I truly have THE cutest kids on the planet.
Secondly, that rock-and-roll moment for me was when I live in Provo and I was about 7, maybe 8. My Dad put on "Right On Track" from the Breakfast Club, and turned the volume WAY up (obviously my mom was not home). He picked me up and danced with me and I could feel the beat through my whole body. Of course at the time I thought my dad was singing "Jack's gonna get you back" rather than, "Is that gonna get you back..."

Mary said...

I feel very supported in my shameful habits, thank you friends! And Jessica and Sarah: I love that you love that I love to spill my head on a computer. Both of you are delightful that I'm glad I have a way of staying in contact with now.

Jason said...

First off..... I love Train! Bitches be Damned! My kids at work make me play Soul Sistah all the time and you know what.... I enjoy it. Just as much as I enjoyed Drops of Jupiter and Meet Virgina.

Second of all... I got lost after that, mostly because we don't listen to the same music for the most part.

Oh...and Penis

Royden said...

refreshing as always and my heart leaped, not just out of vanity (ok that too) but that one who shares most of my genome had something of the magic called Hendrix curdle her blood. Oh, and perhaps not purposely, but Jessica and Mary just made me feel very excluded from a group, the existence of which I till now was unawares...hmmm wow, you people just exude elitism--so much so that it spilt through your keyboard onto my screen like some tarry goo without your knowledge. I feel infected by it. It's the smell. I'm ultimately proud of you Mary, even though I'm excluded--at least your in that club. Bragging rights for me right? Ya, I'm cool by association.